by Raegan Thurlow, Fashion Blogger…
My Top 4 problems with online shopping…
- Depending upon the clarity of the photos and the description on the website, you can’t always tell what something’s going to look/feel like. I once ordered what was supposed to be the cutest coin purse on the planet, only to have something cheap and flimsy delivered to me. I wouldn’t subject my lucky pennies to that kind of environment!
- So then you have to return the “didn’t look like garbage on the website” item and wait for a credit (time to re-box it and head to the post office). And if you think you’re getting out of paying for shipping and handling twice, think again.
- And who created those size charts? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had my measuring tape out trying to figure out if, according to a particular shoe brand, I’m a 7 or a 7.5. If you’ve ever tried to measure your waist using a wooden ruler, you’re… well… me. It was not a successful attempt, but I am excited to report that I do not actually have a 48″ waist.
- And my biggest pet peeve? The WAITING! Waiting for the item to ship. Waiting for the item to arrive. Some guy in a tacky uniform posts a note on your door saying he missed you today and that he’ll be back to try to re-deliver your package tomorrow. And then another note and your package is sitting at some facility — but hard-working American you are, you won’t be able to get anywhere by 5pm until Saturday. So you have to wait until the weekend after you’ve already waited 5-7 business days. All of this before you even know if you’re going to like what you ordered!
But who has the time to go shopping? (I always have time for shopping, but I’m talking about the general population here who might not consider shopping to be the cherry on top of their life.)
My friend Andrea Tobin, the powerhouse behind Marla Cielo handbags, has discovered a better way of shopping-life for her customers. Marla Cielo has partnered with Parker AND Paige in delivering handbags to Manhattanites the day they’re ordered:
- 9am — you’re online at your desk checking out Andrea’s gorgeous hand-painted woven bags.
- 3pm — you’re sitting at your desk with your new handbag that was just delivered to your office.
(For those who live outside of Manhattan, she’s also doing same-day shipping). This is the best thing to happen to delivery since sushi. And for those of us who have an endless desire for all things beautiful but are chained to our desks, this is a miracle.
I’ve been promising myself I’d duck out on my lunch break to pick up a bottle of Chloe “Love” perfume for two weeks now, but have yet to find the time to take a lunch let alone a lunch break. Can’t someone just show up at my door with the bottle already?!
This is the future of commerce. We’re busy. We want it all and are willing to pay for it but don’t have the time to deal with the details. If this isn’t where your business is headed, it’s time to get a clue – preferably one that’s delivered same-day.
Leave a Comment